Skip to main content

YYAS, the experience of a lifetime

YYAS, THE EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME. 

 “Everything happens for a reason”. My name is Bobgala Harrison from Cameroon. I’m 17 and in my final year in high school. You could say I heard about YYAS by “mistake” but nothing happens without a plan by the Almighty. Little did I know that I can apply for an international program and actually get selected. Firstly, what is YYAS? It stands for Yale Young African Scholars and it is a cost free academic enrichment program for African secondary school students. 

Back in 2019 I heard about YYAS from a friend, who heard from a friend, who’s friend had attended the program in 2018 in Zimbabwe. It’s quite a long chain of “hearing from” but that’s how the message about YYAS came to me. Initially, I was skeptical about applying for it because I had never applied for anything of this sort and I didn’t want to “waste” my time. But with some encouragement I finally decided to apply for it and told myself “what better way to gain experience?” After completing my application in February, I kept my fingers crossed waiting for an email from YYAS. Lo and behold, some time in April, I received an email that I’ve been accepted into the program. My excitement was so immense that I will attend such a program, even though I would’ve been more excited if I was to travel. Nevertheless, I didn’t allow the pandemic deprive me of the rich knowledge in YYAS. 



With the days for the program drawing near, I began preparing my materials for the online program; iPad, internet connection, good background, without forgetting my notebook and pen. On the first day we had a talk on career guidance and tips on taking the SAT test. This helped me be more confident in taking the SAT test when applying for universities. Furthermore, with the career orientation, we were guided on how to choose our profession depending on our skills and passion. 

On the second day of the program, we had a seminar on Translational justice in the world. Thereafter we had a chat with an entrepreneur from Ghana. Mr Isaac Sessi, an entrepreneur, shared his story with us and his experience on his journey to entrepreneurship. He helped inspire me to start with what I have and fueled my ambition to be a great entrepreneur in Africa and the world. 

The next day, we were thrilled with an SDG seminar about climate change and its effect on African farms. In addition, we had university talks with students and instructors from Yale University and African Leadership University. 

On the last day but certainly not the least, I was exposed to admission officers from many different schools who helped us know the opportunities universities and colleges offer. Some of these institutions were the New York University in Abu Dhabi, Ashesi university in Ghana, ALU in Rwanda & Mauritius island, University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University and many more. Thanks to them, I now know what process to follow when applying for financial aid from the university I wish to apply to. 

Perhaps this program is the best thing that happened to me in the year 2020 and while it has inspired me, it is my wish that through this article, someone has been encouraged to apply for the program and to benefit from all the knowledge you can gain from YYAS, totally FREE. As the adage goes “Knowledge is power”. Exploit every opportunity!!!


APPLY NOW!!! (Dateline for application is February 16th at 11:59PM)


By

Bobgala Harrison



Comments

  1. YYAS has truly been a blessing to lots and lots of African scholars. Let's continue to spread the word. I like how you acknowledge that everything happens for a reason, I will add that all things work together for our own good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. courage champ. you are nailing it the right way at the rightspot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Stereotype About Cameroon: Africa-In-Miniature

  My country Cameroon, as well put on https://www.everyculture.com/Bo-Co/Cameroon.html, has diverse cultural, religious, and political traditions as well as ethnic variety. English and French are her official languages, a heritage of her colonial past as both a colony of the United Kingdom and France from 1916 to 1960. This means two of the most popular languages in the world are used in Cameroon. The above factors and many more, together with her location usually described as “The Armpit of Africa”, sparked a popular stereotype mainly by tourist literature, her being considered “Africa in miniature”. Asserting that she offers all the diversity of Africa, in climate, culture, and geography, within its borders. Some might question this, but based on my experiences and research, I think it might be safe to agree so. Well, let us find out.   In the context of language, not only do her inhabitants speak both English and French, regarded as some of the most popular languages in the worl

THE POWER OF YOUTHFULNESS

I am writing this article at the age of 27yrs old and in my youthful age.  I remember when I was traversing to this stage of my life (from adolescence to adult), I will dream of fancy things like, -          To one day fry a tray full of eggs and slice it into pieces like a cake. -          To play football and be a superstar like Samuel Eto’o of Cameroon. -          To become a well-known Genetic engineer and add value to humanity. -          To party every day and make merry with friends. -          Etc. Funny enough, as I am writing to you now, -          I am undergoing a transformation to become a vegetarian, -          I don’t have the patience to sit for 90 minutes and watch football talk less of playing it, -            I am a Computer scientist and Digital entrepreneur who practically spend 3/4 th of the day before the computer. -          I am an introvert and don’t find fun in joining gatherings, clubbing and listening to loud music with high bits or pitch. -

CONSEQUENCES OF LACK OF MECHANIZATION ON AFRICA’S ECONOMY.

LENJO VALERY L, Digital Entrepreneur Mechanization is the use of machines to augment or scale up productivity in the society. The use of machines on earth date far back as 1000BC with what physicians term “The Simple Machines” which was use used for Calculation, processing of grains to flour, agriculture, making solutions for drinks, etc. Machines vary depending on purpose and problems to be solved. It could be tractors for agricultural practices, Pulley systems for construction, Generators for transforming energies, Automated teller machines for banks, Computing devices for office use, etc Nowadays Machines have been made portable, affordable and available to an extent that they even constitute 25% of the earths pollution today. Thus the need for Green Computing system so as to revamp the purity of the environment. Even though machines have been Automated and user friendly, 65% of the African population(Cameroonians to be specific) still don’t know how to fabricate and how to o